Borno Massacre: 'Bokoharam operated for six hours, preached and killed 81 persons' - Survivor
The survivor of the massacre that happened in Borno state had narrated the ugly incident to Governor Zulum when he visited the scene of the event.
Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum on Wednesday, visited Faduma Kolomdi village in Gubio Local Government Area, scene of the deadly attack, which claimed several lives including women and children.
A survivor told Zulum that 81 residents were killed during the attack on Tuesday with 13 persons injured and seven others, including village head were abducted.
Governor Zulum who sympathised with the people over the deadly attack urged the Nigerian military to undertake a final onslaught that should put an end to insurgency in the shore of the Lake Chad.
Zulum described the attack as barbaric and unfortunate. He evacuated five injured persons in his convoy, for treatment at an undisclosed hospital.
"Last year, about the same number of people were killed in Gajiram as it happened again. This is barbaric. It is very unfortunate. The only solution to end this massacre is by dislodging the insurgents in the shores of Lake Chad. Doing so will require collaborative regional efforts," Zulum said.
A survivor who was described as the only one who escaped the attack (name withheld for protection) gave account during Zulum’s visit.
He recalled thus, “The insurgents in gun trucks and armoured tanks came around 10 am yesterday (Tuesday). They operated for about six hours and left around 4 pm. They gathered us and said they wanted to deliver a religious sermon to us. They asked us to submit whatever arm we had. Some villagers gave up their dane guns, bow and arrows.
The insurgents pretended as if they were there for any violence. Suddenly, they started shooting at will. Even children and women were not spared, many were shot at close range. Many started running. In the end, many persons were killed.
We have been burying people from 10:00 pm to about 6 am. We have buried 49 corpses here while another 32 bodies were taken away by families from the villages around us. The insurgents abducted seven persons, including our village head. They went away with 400 cattle,” he said.
It was observed that the insurgents did not set the place ablaze as they often did in other attacks.
However, reports have it that that the casualties could be higher than 81 since tracing was ongoing.
Share With Friends