How to make alcohol-based hand sanitizers
You should know that being infected with Coronavirus is not a death sentence. People do recover from it however, while some people present with mild symptoms, some others present with much severe symptoms.
Here are ways you can take care of your health and the health of others:
Wash your hands regularly
Most people don't understand the need for washing hands but this simple process is vital in preventing the spread of infection. This is because washing the hands with soap and water or alcohol based hand rub kills virus which may be on your hands.
Washy your hands regularly
When it comes to preventing further spread of highly contagious viruses like the COVID-19, nothing beats the old-fashioned way of 'washing the hands thoroughly with soap and water'.
However, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), using alcohol-based hand sanitizer could form a good alternative when water and soap are not available.
At this point when the world has reached a pandemic stage of the COVID-19, coming across hand sanitizer even in online stores now seem to be a rare occurrence. The demand for it now exceeds its supply.
Now, here is the good news. You can actually make your hand sanitizers yourself using just three ingredients.
What ingredients are required?
- Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl (99 percent alcohol volume)
- Aloe vera gel (helps smoothen the hands and reduces the harsh feeling of the alcohol on the hands)
- Lemon juice or any essential oil such as lavender oil or tea tree oil.
How to make your own alcohol-based hand sanitizer
To make an effective germ-killing hand sanitizer, you should stick with an alcohol:aloe vera proportion of 2:1. In this way, the alcohol content would be around 60% which is just the minimum amount required to kill most germs.
- 3/4 cup of rubbing alcohol or isopropyl
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel
- 10 drops of essential oils
- Pour all three ingredients into a bowl, preferably one with a pouring spout.
- Mix the mixture with a spoon and beat using a whisk. The sanitizer should turn into a gel with this step.
- Your hand sanitizer is set for use. Just pour it into an empty bottle and ensure that you label it. Keep it handy for use.
The steps involved in making hand sanitizers are pretty simple and the ingredients are easy to source for. Just ensure that your production environment and tools are clean before use and mix all ingredients thoroughly until they are well blended. Do not touch them with your bare hands until the sanitizer is ready for use.
Keep up to date and stay informed on the latest developments about the COVID-19. Listen to your national health authority, local health authority as well as your healthcare provider as they are in a better position to give you the most up to date information on how to protect yourself and others from this deadly virus.