Food and nutrition: How to cook unripe plantain porridge
Unripe plantain is a staple tropical food known for its high nutritional value and amazing health benefits. If you love cooking healthy meals, you must read this to learn how to prepare an unripe plantain porridge dish.
Plantain is a fruit. It is of the same family of plants as a banana. However, plantains contain more starch or fibre than bananas. Plantain is very common, particularly in the tropics and is a staple food.
Plantain is eaten both in its ripe and unripe form. Unripe plantain is a highly nutritious plant. Unripe plantain is medicinal and has many health benefits. It is usually cooked as a porridge.
Unripe plantain porridge is a delicious meal, especially when properly prepared with the right ingredients.
Have you ever tried preparing an unripe plantain dish and failed woefully at it or perhaps, it just didn't turn out the way you like? You might want to try out the recipe and cooking method below.
Here we will look at preparing the unripe plantain porridge (a sumptuous Nigerian dish). Preparing unripe plantain as porridge is one way to harness the health benefits of unripe plantain while enjoying its delicious taste.
Preparing unripe plantain porridge is easy and doesn't take time.
Unripe plantain porridge recipe
Here are the food ingredients you will need to prepare your delicious pot of unripe plantain porridge:
- Unripe plantain (you might want to add about two pieces of ripe plantain for better taste)
- Fresh fish
- Dried fish
- Grounded crayfish
- Scent leaves
- Palm oil
- 3-4 fresh tomatoes
- Grounded pepper
- Salt and seasoning
How to prepare unripe plantain porridge
The numerous health benefits of unripe plantain make it one of the core foods especially for African cuisines
You enjoy unripe plantain both for its health benefits and the fact that it is a great meal for quenching hunger. Here is a step-by-step method of preparing a tasty unripe plantain porridge meal:
Step 1: Preparatory phase
- Peel the unripe plantain (if you added ripe plantain, peel everything at once)
- Dice or cut the plantain into bits (about the size of sugar cubes)
- Wash the dried fish with hot water, remove the bones and place it on a plate
- Wash your fresh fish and boil it with salt, onion and seasoning
- Dice your onion into a plate
- Wash the scent leaves and cut them.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes
- Keep every other ingredient at hand
Step 2: Cooking phase
Get the cooking ingredients for preparing unripe plantain porridge ready
- Put the diced plantain into a cooking pot.
- Add the water from the boiled fish. Top up with ordinary water ( to be at the same level as the plantain)
- Place the pot over your cooker and allow to cook for about 5-10 minutes
- Add the dried fish
- Add the ingredients; palm oil, salt, crayfish, onion, pepper and seasoning to taste.
- Allow it to cook to the point where it is near-done
- Add the diced tomatoes
- Add your scent leave
- Add the already boiled fish lastly
- Turn the food (be careful, so the fresh fish doesn't break into tiny bits)
- Allow it to cook for not more than 2 minutes
- Bring the pot down. You are ready to enjoy your sumptuous meal of unripe plantain porridge
If you haven't cooked unripe plantain porridge before, you should try this cooking method and recipe. Unripe plantain is good for health. You have nothing to lose; instead, you gain more for your health.