CNN Lekki shooting video: We stand by our story - CNN
American based television channel Cable News Network, CNN has stated that they will not retract their reports on the shooting of the EndSARS peaceful protester by Nigerian Army at Lekki toll gate in Lagos.
Earlier on Tuesday, the television channel CNN released a video that contained the shooting of EndSARS peaceful protester By Nigerian Army which has been labelled as false by Nigerian Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed.
According to the statement made by Lai Mohammed that the CNN company should be sanctioned for the report they gave on Lekki shooting without proper investigation.
However, CNN in response has said that they are standing on their story regarding the shooting of EndSARS protesters at Lekki Toll Gate as it was investigated before releasing them.
According to a CNN spokesman he said that the video on Lekki shooting was testified by many witnesses.
The CNN spokesperson added that the Nigerian Army and Police refused to comment on the testimony by individuals when they were approached for comments.
“Our reporting was carefully and meticulously researched, and we stand by it,” the spokesperson said.
“The report was based on testimony from dozens of witnesses, and photos and video obtained and geolocated by CNN. It painted a picture of how members of the Nigerian Army and the police shot at the crowd, killing at least one person and wounding dozens more.
“CNN verified photos and videos acquired from multiple eyewitnesses and protesters using timestamps and other data from the video files.
"Video footage shows soldiers who appear to be shooting in the direction of protesters. And accounts from eyewitnesses established that after the army withdrew, the second round of shooting happened later in the evening.
“Before publishing the report, CNN tried multiple times to elicit comment from the Nigerian Army and police. A Lagos State police spokesman declined to comment because of an ongoing investigation.
"While a statement from the Lagos State government said that there would be no comment while a judicial tribunal was underway.
“CNN also included comments from army representative, Brigadier Ahmed Taiwo, testifying before the tribunal. He denied that soldiers would shoot at Nigerian citizens,” the statement from CNN said.
Share With Friends