Fortnite sues Apple, Google after drop from App stores
The Fortnite developer, Epic Games has launched a lawsuit against Apple and Google after the tech companies dropped the game from their app stores.
Epic Games said on Thursday that it was introducing a direct payment plan. This means it would bypass Apple and Google, which usually takes a cut of up to 30% from in-app purchase.
Epic's action caused Apple and Google to drop the gaming app from their app stores and to accuse the developer of breach of guidelines.
According to Apple, Fortnite was removed because Epic launched the payment feature with the "express intent of violating the App Store guidelines".
It further said the guidelines "create a level playing field for all developers and makes the store safe for all users".
Google spokesman, Dan Jackson had said the tech company would "welcome the opportunity to continue our discussions with Epic and bring Fortnite back to Google Play".
However, Epic in response to the move had launched an anti-trust lawsuit.
Epic isn't seeking money but is requesting for injunctions that would bring a change in the way tech firms run their app stores.
Epic Games said in the lawsuit;
"Apple has become what it once railed against: the behemoth seeking to control markets, block competition, and stifle innovation.
"Apple is bigger, more powerful, more entrenched, and more pernicious than the monopolists of yesteryear.
"Epic is not seeking any monetary relief, but rather only an order enjoining Google from continuing to impose its anti-competitive conduct on the Android ecosystem".
Fortnite video game has gained popularity since its launch in 2017 and is free to play; however, extras such as skins and weapons are charged for.
Last month, Fortnite had about two million downloads in both Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store, according to mobile analytics from SensorTower.
Share With Friends