Burna Boy net worth, biography and awards
Burna Boy is a Nigerian afro-fusion singer and songwriter. This article talks about Burna Boy's net worth, biography, awards, and rise in the music industry.
Burna Boy is a top Nigerian afro-fusion singer and songwriter. He is the CEO of Spaceship Entertainment record label and enjoys both international and local popularity.
Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu
Date and place of birth
2 July 1991 (age 28)
Corona Secondary School, Agbara
Burnaboy, whose birth name is Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, was born on the 2nd of July 1991 as the first child of Mr and Mrs Ogulu in Ahaoda, Rivers State, Nigeria.
His grandfather Benson Idonije was Fela Kuti's manager. Burna Boy started making music at the age of 10.
He used FuityLoops software from his classmates for music production.
When Burna Boy was in secondary school, he formed a music band that performed at concerts. He went to London to further his education but dropped out because of his passion for music.
His mother saw how passionate Burna Boy was about music and secured him an intern job in a radio station. Burnaboy made it a habit to go to the studio and record songs after work.
Burnaboy always had his generator in his car’s trunk as a backup should the studio's power supply go off.
Burna Boy's Rise to Fame
Burna boy became famous in the music industry in 2012, after he released the hit single ‘Like to Party’ from his debut album L.I.F.E.
They sold 40,000 copies of the album L.I.F.E. on the first day of its debut.
They also sold its marketing rights to Uba Pacific for 10 million Naira. Leriq produced the album.
Burnaboy secured other artists to feature in the album, like 2face, M.I, Reminisce, Wizkid, Timaya, and Olamide.
You could see apparent similarities to Fela Kuti's songs by listening to the songs King Sunny Ade and Bob Marley. Music critics applauded L.I.F.E.
The album also ranked number 7 on the Billboard Reggae Albums Chart that year.
Burna Boy and Spaceship Entertainment
Burna boy left Aristokrat records in 2014, and in 2015 he established his record label named Spaceship Entertainment.
Burnaboy released his second album, ‘On a Spaceship’ on the 25th of November 2015. Burnaboy later released his 3rd studio album – Outside, on the 26th of January 2018.
Burna boy described Outside as a mixtape because it is a mix of Afro-beats, dancehall, reggae, and road rap.
Outside was produced by Leriq, Baba Stiltz, Jae 5, Juls, Chopstix, Steel Banglez, Fred Gibson, Phantom, and FTSE. The album ranked at number 3 on the Billboard Reggae Albums chart in February 2018.
On the 21st of March 2019, Burna Boy released a 4-track EP titled Steel & Copper; in collaboration with Los Angeles-based electronic duo DJDS.
Burna Boy performing in a stage show
Burna Boy's Endorsement Deals
As is the norm for Nigerian musicians to be brand ambassadors for companies, Burna boy is not left out as he shares endorsements. Burnaboy was able to secure brand ambassador deals from Globacom, Nigerian Breweries Plc, and Mortell Cognac.
Burna Boy's Net Worth
Aside from being an international music star, Burna Boy also has endorsements with Globacom, Star Lager beer etc.
Burnaboy's tickets for his shows are always sold out, home and abroad - a good source of income.
So, it is expected that he has a high net worth. Burna Boy’s net worth is estimated at $10million.
Burna Boy's Affluence and Cars
Burna Boy loves flashy and quality, and luxurious things, which reflect in his fleet of cars. Burnaboy's fleet of cars includes Mercedes Benz worth over 20 million Naira, a Range Rover Sports car worth over 18 million Naira, a G-wagon, and a Lexus salon 2015.
Lifestyle in pictures
On a Spaceship
Burna Boy's Nominations
- Nominated at The Headies for Next Rated in 2013.
- Best R&B Single Nominee at the Headies 2014.
- Nominated L.I.F.E. at the Headies as the Best R&B/Pop Album in 2014.
- He was Hip Hop World Revelation of the Year nominee at the Headies 2014.
- L.I.F.E. was nominated for the Album of the Year at the Headies 2014.
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated him for the Best Pop Artist of the Year in 2015.
Burna Boy's Awards
- Best New Act of the Year at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2013.
- South Music Awards named his song "Like to Party" as Best Pop in 2013.
- MTV Africa Music Awards honoured him as the Best New Act in 2014.
- L.I.F.E. was named Best Album of the Year at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2015.
- He was nominated for YouTube artist on the rise in 2018.
- 'Ye' was named as Listener's Choice at the Soundcity M.V.P. Awards Festival in 2019.
- At the Soundcity M.V.P. Awards Festival, Ye was named the Song of the Year in 2019.
- He was named Best Male M.V.P. at the Soundcity M.V.P. Awards Festival in 2019.
- African Artiste of the Year at the Soundcity M.V.P. Awards Festival in 2019.
- Best International Act at the B.E.T. Awards 2019.
- Apple Music Up Next Artist in July 2019.